No Bully has been working successfully in Humboldt County for the past year training schools how to bring together Solution Teams of students to end incidents of bullying and harassment among their peers.
Now Seven Humboldt County schools will have the opportunity to enter a one-year partnership with No Bully in 2013-2014 to implement its system to prevent and stop student bullying and harassment. 90% of the cost of the parternship will come from a consortium of donors that we are actively bringing together with support from the Humboldt County Office of Education.
WHAT YOUR SCHOOL WILL RECEIVE FROM NO BULLY
Schools that partner with No Bully will receive our integrated series of workshops and principal coaching designed to help schools implement and sustain the No Bully System® long-term.
- No Bully Foundational Training. This three-hour in-service workshop gives all school personnel a common language around bullying and harassment and trains them how to intervene to stop incidents as required by California law.
- Solution Coach® Training. This one-day training prepares core teachers from each school to become Solution Coaches®, able to convene a Solution Team® for a student who is the target of persistent bullying and to follow up with students who are entrenched in the role of bully or victim. No Bully trains five Solution Coaches® per school at the elementary level, ten at the middle/high school level.
- How to Bully-Proof your Kid. The No Bully Parent and Guardian Workshop teaches parents how to bully-proof their child so that they are neither a bully nor a target. This 90-minute workshop is integral to securing parent support for the school’s anti-bullying initiative.
- Coaching for school leadership. No Bully provides the school principal with three coaching sessions to help articulate the school’s social vision, draft an anti-bullying policy for the site and identify the best anti-bullying curricula for the school.
The No Bully System® aligns with PBIS and restorative justice and brings schools in compliance with California’s new anti-bullying laws. Independent studies have found that schools that implement the No Bully System® are able to resolve bullying and harassment in at least 80% of cases.
WHAT NO BULLY NEEDS FROM YOUR SCHOOL
No Bully needs the commitment of the school principal to
- Set aside three hours of professional development time when all teachers and staff can attend the No Bully Foundational Training. (Delivered as an in-service at your campus)
- Recruit, register online and release 3-5 staff to attend the one-day and half-day trainings including the principal, the counselor (if the school has one) and one or more teachers/staff.
- Ensure that you and your staff use Solution Team logs to track incidents of bullying and return completed Solution Team logs to the No Bully evaluator by April 10, 2014.
- Participation fee of $1,000 to be paid over the course of school year 2013-14. The remaining cost will be covered by HCOE and a consortium of California funders
HOW TO APPLY
In order to become one of the seven beneficiary schools, the school principal should apply to No Bully as soon as possible by sending an e-mail (click on this link) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Name of school, number of students and staff, and the town/area in which the school is located.
- Brief information about the demographics of your school stating ethnicity and number of students on free or reduced lunch.
- Statement of need around creating a bully-free school including where available the most recent California Healthy Kids Survey data or other documentation eg disciplinary data that indicate incidents of student bullying.
- Statement that the application has the approval of the school district superintendent.
Note: there is no form to fill out – simply send an e-mail.
Deadline for applications is 5 pm on May 31, 2013. Priority will be given to schools that demonstrate need.